Thursday, June 18, 2009

Rails on a Railroad Track

I read something today that I had read in the past and it struck me . . . . it connected with where I'm at in life right now . . . maybe you can relate.

This quote is by Rick Warren, a pastor and the author of "The Purpose Driven Life".
"I used to think that life was hills and valleys - you go through a dark time, then you go to the mountain top, back and forth. I don't believe that anymore. Rather than life being hills and valleys, I believe that it's kind of like two rails on a railroad track, and at all times you have something good and something bad in your life. No matter how good things are in your life, there is always something bad that needs to be worked on. And no matter how bad things are in your life, there is always something good you can thank God for."
Isn't this so true?? On one rail of my "railroad track" I have troubles. We are trying to figure out the future, not just the big picture future but the immediate future. We are trying to make big decisions on our job? our house? Our finances? Every decision seems to hinge on another decision. It's exhausting to think about and can get me down very quickly. BUT on the other rail of my "railroad track" we are having a summer unlike any other. We are with family for MANY days in a row. We are enjoying time with cousins and Grammy and Grandma, aunts, and uncles. Jason is getting to work along side of people he loves, his brother/ his dad/ my dad. In my entire married life we've never lived by either side of our families so this is rare for us. Some days I feel like I have one foot on each "rail". I have sadness and exhaustion from trying to figure out our situation and I have contentment and joy at being with family. Weird isn't it??
What are your rails in your life? I hope whatever your circumstances you can identify one rail as good.

3 comments:

Sweet Pea said...

very true. i had never heard it like that before. thanks for sharing that. we are praying for you guys!

Monica said...

I think I may have like 4 tracks going at all times? is that possible? Ha ha! Really that is the truth, it could always be worse, yet we always think it could get a little better! I so wish we could have lunch and visit. For now I will just pray for peace, wisdom, understanding, and patience for you. Love you all!

meg duerksen said...

i would LOVE to be in the country!! you will love it nicole....you probably won't want to go back.
we heard you were in hillsboro...i really REALLy would've loved to have gotten together!
i wish we'd heard when you were there and not after.

i am sorry you are having to be going through all of this.
it has got to be a hard year for you all.
God strengthens us in our low points, right? ugh. it's not fun though.
i know you must be exhausted by it.
cling to each other...don't let it pull you and jason apart in any way. CLING! :)

best wishes in nebraska!
now if you come this way again...call me!
come over and we'll let the kids all play and you and i can sit and chat.
serious!!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...