Friday, April 9, 2010

Feeling the Weight

Somedays I feel the weight of all that sits on our shoulders as mom and dad.
So much to teach.
So much to model.
Right now in life I feel this most as I raise 3 boys.
Eventually the weight of the girl world will come too.
As I look at my three boys I am reminded every day that I am not raising boys I am raising men!
I'm raising someone's husband.
Someone's daddy.
Someone's friend.
It's not so simple.
Be brave and courageous but don't do something stupid.
Stand up for others but don't be a bully.
Put others first but don't let others take advantage of you.
You are special but so is everyone else.
Laugh a lot and have fun but only when it's appropriate.
Be a leader but lead in a good way.
Be affectionate and show love but respect a person's personal space.
Work hard but play hard.
Have good table manners even though it's not natural for your world.
Be proud of yourself but don't be prideful.
Girls don't have cooties, you can play with them and have fun with them but you don't say this, or that, or this to girls.
Obey and respect adults unless they are doing something that isn't right.
Communicate what you are thinking or how you feel but be kind.
Use self control but other times act on how you feel.
Be honest but be nice.
Some things are only okay around boys.
Be strong and don't whine, but admit your pain.
Share your opinion but don't dominate the conversation.
This is appropriate here and this isn't appropriate there.
Be yourself but again this is appropriate here and this isn't appropriate there.
Don't worry about what others think but be a good example because someone is always watching you.
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

It's a big task.
Each time my boys have to learn a lesson, or they become aware of something, or a new reality of the world is shown to them, or a piece of their innocence is lost I find myself feeling one of two things (depending on the type of lesson or awareness).
I feel sad that they have to learn that lesson or become aware of that part of the world.
OR
I feel proud that they have learned a lesson or understood something that will make them a better man many years down the road.
I'm honored God has entrusted us with three boys.
In all that they have to learn I find myself thankful EVERY day for the role model they have in their daddy and that he is striving to follow our ultimate role model; Christ himself.
I love you boys.

====================================

Proverbs: 23:15,16,19
My son(s), if your heart is wise, then my heart will be glad; my inmost being will rejoice when your lips speak what is right. Listen, my son(s) and be wise, and keep your heart on the right path.

Proverbs 6:20-24
My son(s), keep your father's command and do not forsake your mother's teaching. Bind them always on your heart: fasten them around your neck. When you walk, they will guide you; when you sleep, they will watch over you; when you awake, they will speak to you. For this command is a lamp, this teaching is a light, and correction and instruction are the way to life. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...