Sunday, January 9, 2011

Oh The Things They Say


Oh the Things THey Say $
We've been blessed with four kids that live life to the fullest.
They make me laugh with all the things they say. I don't want to forget their hilarious, priceless and truthful comments.  This page is my attempt to remember many of them! 

(Started this page in '08)

These are the things I remembered to record in 2010!
(I'm posting these now so they'll appear in my blog book for 2010)
___________________________________________________

Tatum was in our room and Jason took his shirt off to change shirts and Tatum looked at him and said with awe, "Daddy you look AWESOME!"  She made her daddy's day! (Dec. 2010)
---------
Carter and Coleson heard the word pimples on the tv. They both asked, "What are pimples?" Ian was sitting there and said, "Those things on your chest." (Dec. 2010)
---------
I said somehting silly and Tatum said, "You always say funny words. The boys say 'stop' but I laugh right?" (She's right! - Dec. 2010)
--------
While getting the twins ready for bed we had this converstion:
Carter:  Mrs T always gets us wrong. She never gets Coleson and I right but today she got us right.
Coleson: Yeah she did .
Carter: I told her she was getting better.
----------
Ian brought me this piece of paper and said they were cutting pictures out of magazines for a project at church and he saw this recipe and thought I'd like to try it.  I thought it was so funny. What 8 year old boy gives his mom a recipe to try? I will be trying it. It's like a jello thing.  So funny. (Nov. 2010)
--------
We were watching old videos and Carter saw me in one of them and said, "That does not look like you mommy you have a fat neck. "  HA!!! Oh Carter . . . you were right! (Nov. 2010)
---------
Tatum:  "I'm going to be a haircut lady for real. It's going to be dangerous for you." (Nov. 2010)
----------
Over the course of several weeks we had so many spiritual conversations with our kids. It just kept happening. The next several comments are in that area.

While working on a puzzle with Carter and Coleson they somehow started talking about Jesus. I don't remember how the whole conversation went but at one point I said, "Not everyone follows Jesus."
Coleson replied sounded very dumbfounded, "Even if they KNOW Him?" (In his little mind he could not grasp that someone could know about Jesus and choose not to follow Him.)

-------------
We were talking about homeless people at dinner one night. We were talking about where they stay and where they can go for help and how they don't have a place to live or have things.  All of a sudden Tatum chimmed in and said, "When I grow up I am going to be his neighbor." (Didn't make a ton of sense and we had not used the word neighbor at all but to me it was so profound since the bible calls us to be one another's neighbors.  She is going to care for the homeless someday - that's what she was saying. Oh sweet girl.)
------------
Almost everyday I drive by a cemetery. One day they were having a funeral and Tatum asked what they were doing there. This is part of that conversation.

Me:  They are having a funeral?
Tatum:  What's that?
Me:  An old lady died but it's ok because she knew Jesus and she is going to be with him now.
Tatum:  The real Jesus? (Shocked)
Me:  Yes the real Jesus.
Tatum: Is Jesus dare (there)? 
I tried to explain what was happening at the funeral and she cut me off to say . . .
Tatum: (very strongly) What I'm talking about is God. Is God dare where we just went by?

The conversation went on for awhile. She was picturing Jesus THERE and if He was there she wanted us to stop. Why would we drive on by and not go see Him. It was a priceless conversation. One I wish I would have written all down right away.  Her desire to go see Jesus if He was really there was so strong and passionate.  It was a neat thing to see in her.

-------------
We were talking about fear and the boys said they weren't scared of anything.  
I said, "I'm scared of things."
Ian said, "I am too. I'm scared mommy and daddy will die."
Carter said, "Me too. I'm scared everyone will die and I will be all by myself and I'd have to find a new family."
(Breaks my heart that kids fear those things but it's so real. It was a good conversation about how God takes care of us and that our family will always take care of each other.)

---------
Carter and Coleson have been wanting to learn to read since school started. They thought they'd learn it in a day.  They've learned a handfull of words so I got out the kindergarten reader books I have.  Coleson picked a book and sat on Jason's lap. He said he didn't know if he could read it. He started reading and about page 3 his eyes got so big and he said, "How am I doing this?"  It was priceless.  He was reading and was shocking himself.  (Oct. 2010)
-----------
On the twins field trip to a pumpkin patch there was a tunnel slide that looked like it would go pretty fast. As we walked to it I said, "Should I do it too?" Coleson said, "No I don't want you to get hurt." (October 2010)
------------
Before having Tatum's party with family we had this conversation.
Me: Tatum what do you say when you open your presents.
Tatum:  Thank you.
Me:  What if you open it and it's something you already have? Then what do you say.
Tatum:  Ummm. No thank you.
(October 2010)
-----------
Tatum and I were sitting on the couch listening to my blog music and we were dancing. She was copying whatever I was doing. She did it for a little while and then looked at me and said with some doubt in her voice, "Are these your dance moves?"  Yep girl, that's all I got. (Oct. 2010)
------------
Me:  Tomorrow is hamburgers at school tomorrow, who wants to buy their lunch?
Ian: Yes! They are SOO good. They don't make real meat. It's fake. (I laugh out loud.) No really, it's not real. 
Carter:  It's fake? You mean it's like a toy?
Ian: It's not from a cow. It's from a pig or something.
(October 2010)
------------
I had some girls over to scrapbook while the boys were at school. I had told them in the morning I was doing that.  When Ian came home from school he sat down on the couch and said, "So, how was your thing?"
Me:  My thing? What thing?
Ian:  You know, your scrapbook thing. How'd it go?
(I was so caught off guard and blown away at how big he's gotten. He was asking about MY day?  I told him his comment really filled my bucket.) (October 2010)
------------
Tatum and I were looking at old scrapbooks. And I had been saying things like; this is Carter when he was 2, this is Ian when he was 4 etc. etc.  She then saw a picture of Grammy (my mom) holding Carter and Coleson in the hospital when they was born and she asked, "Is this Grammy when she was a first grader?" (October 2010)
------------
This was Ian's prayer at dinner one night. "Thank you for this family, for natural resources and for school."  (Sept. 2010)
------------
Tatum:  Can we get a new baby sister?
Me:  Oh my, I don't know how we'd do that.
Tatum:  We can get it from the doctor. The baby doctor.
Me:  (I was proud of my answer.) Well, next time we go to the doctor you'll have to ask them if they have any babies for us.
(Sept. 2010) 
------------
After talking about my TX accent and how it's not really strong anymore Ian said, 
"Mommy you are part cowgirl
Carter is part dinosaur (we always say this about Carter)
Coleson is part race car driver,
Tatum is part princess,
and I'm part mountain man."
Me:  What about Daddy?
Ian:  He's part mountain man too. Oh and part God.
Me:  (laughing) What? Part God?
Ian:  Yeah because he is so cool and He loves God a lot.
(September 2010)
------------
Tatum says "Stamptoo" for tatoo.
September 2010
------------
The twins REALLy want to know how to read.  
Carter:  Mommy Thiessen (that's his teacher and he forgets the Mrs. sometimes) taught us to read today but we still don't know how! (Sounding totally frustrated.)
Me: Well it will take more than one day. You will learn a lot in kindergarten and first grade.
(Little Later)
Coleson:  Carter Mrs. Thiessen taught us to read today and we still don't know how. (I love how they still refer to "we")
Carter:  Coleson it will take more than ONE day for us to learn.
Coleson:  (Like a lightbulb went on) OH! I know. I bet she is just going to teach us one letter every day.
(I thought this was such a hilarious conversation because it was if they thought it was going to be a one time explanation to learn how to read and they just needed to be told.  Sort of like other things in there life, tell me how to ride a bike, ok now I know, I ride a bike . . . tell me how to get tot he top of that boulder, ok now I know, I climb it.  HA!)
(September 2010)
------------
The kids have sticker charts for certain tasks and I asked Tatum is she wanted to help with something and then she could put up a sticker. She said, "Naa, I don't want too. You can.  You need a sticker chart mommy." HA!! I need a POSTER to hold all my stickers. HA!! (September 2010)
-------------
Tatum: I had a dream last night about princesses. And we were at the castle.
Me:  Wow, was there dancing?
Tatum: Yes, we were all dancing in the castle?
Me: Oh I wish I was there.
Tatum:  You were. (pause) BUT you were the stepmother!
(September 2010)
-------------
While wiping up a few spots of jelly on the floor with a rag Tatum said, "Why are you cleaning the floor like that? That's how princesses do it when their step mother's say, 'Clean the floor!'." (September 2010)
------------
While having a campfire we asked the kids what was one thing that they really liked about school. They all said something and then I asked them what was one thing that was sort of hard or that they didn't like about school so that I could know how to pray for them.
When it was Coleson's turn he said, "Nothing. I like everything. (Pause) OH WAIT!! There are two things that are SO hard. (He was SO serious!) We do Head and Shoulders Knees and Toes and I get SO tired.  Then we do 'A TootieTa' (a song) and I shut my eyes and spin around and I get dizzy and so tired." (The look on his face was so serious!! I told Jason my prayer life should be pretty simple I guess.)
(September 2010)
------------
After telling the boys about a friends of ours who had someone close to them die of a heart attack Coleson asked, "Can 6 yr olds have a heart attack?"
In that same conversation they asked why people have heart attacks, I gave a number of reasons and then I just said that eating healthy and exercising helps our heart and Carter said, "So that man just ate lots and lots of junkfood?"  That was not the case with this man but the boys were just all questions about our hearts.
(September 2010)
------------
Me:  It's time to go brush your teeth.
Carter or Coleson (I can't remember who said it): (Exasperated)  We did that yesterday!
(September 2010)
------------
Coleson:  Look at that beautiful sunset. (pause) Why do boys use words like BEAUTIFUL?
Me:  Well because some things are beautiful.
Coleson:  That is a COOL sunset.
(September 2010)
-------------
While Camping Coleson gave me a ride on a small four wheeler. He was so sweet to me.
Coleson:  Do you want to go fast?
Me:  No I want to go slow.
Coleson:  Do you want to wear the helmet?
(September 2010)
------------
I was trying on jeans in a dressing room with Carter and Coleson. I tried on some cute camo print pants. When I got them on the boys both said, "You look weird." (they were chuckling) "We like the pants but you just look weird." They said it several times and then Coleson said, "You can buy them just don't wear them." (September 2010)
-------------
Carter said, "I hurt my thumb toe." (His big toe.) (September 2010)
-------------
Tatum said, "Can I have a choker." (Took me forever but she was asking for a Gobstopper. I always tell her she can't have one because she could choke.) (September 2010)
-------------
Tatum was trying to potty at the pool and some of it got on the floor. I let out a scream and we both started laughing. Then she looked at me, lifted her eye and said very seriously, 
"Do NOT tell anybody about this because that is privacy! Ok?"
Me:  Ok.
Tatum:  Ever Mommy. Promise? Cause that's privacy.
(Obviously I'm telling the world but it's just so funny.  She hears me tell Jason or my mom, or a friend about funny things that happen with her or how she dresses up or whatever and so she's started saying 'don't tell anybody' or 'don't tell daddy' whenever something funny happens. )
--------------
I was telling Coleson that before he goes to kindergarten I will take him and Carter on a 'back to school shopping' date just like I did with Ian when he was there age.
Coleson:  Will we go in Utah?
Me:  No, we'll go somewhere around here.
Coleson:  No, I want to go home (UT) to do it."
(August 2010)
---------------
Tatum:  Mommy can you just text Kate to see if she can come over? Caaaan youuuu? 
(She's been talking about her friend Kate for weeks but we don't know a Kate. HA!)
(August 2010)
----------------
Me:  Carter what are you most excited for in kindergarten?
Carter: I'm most excited about recess.
Me:  Maybe you'll start learning to read.
Carter:  No wait that's what I'm most excited about - learning to read.
(That is the best thing I could hear a kid say!!!) (Aug. 2010)
----------------
While camping Jason showed the boys how he can put an entire hotdog in his mouth sideways. (Cool I know? ?) When he finished Coleson said with lots of expression, "You are one big Daddy." (Aug. 2010)
-----------------
Me (talking to Carter):  I think for your birthday this year we'll do it different and you will turn 4.
Carter:  No we can't do that. We always have to get older.
Me: You're right. Each age has something really cool things about it.
Carter: Yeah you keep getting bigger and you keep getting nicer and nicer. 
(Aug. 2010)                
--------------
Carter:  Coleson will you ever sell your night night (blanket)?
Coleson:  NO!
Carter:  What about when you are an adult? Then will you sell it?
Coleson:  DEFINITELY NOT! Mommy will put it where she remembers old stuff so definitely  not!
(August 2010)
--------------
Me:  Tatum your room looks like a pig pen.
Tatum: But theres no pigs in it.
(July 2010)
--------------
I just overheard Ian tell his brothers, "I'm going to try to be nice ALL day today." (July 2010)
------------
I ran into a store to see if I could find a dress to wear on our anniversary date. I had all three boys with me (this is so rare . . . i just don't shop for me with them).  I put on this dress and immediately they said, "You look like Princess Padamae" (she's from Star Wars) I laughed so hard. Only a mom of boys hears this.  It was a compliment. Then they said, "You look like a principal."  Took me awhile to figure out but it had a big collar type neck and their principal does wear many things like that.  Compliments from my boys are so funny. (July 2010)

---------------
I had a Fed Ex package in my car for two weeks trying to drop off - I threatened to throw it to a Fed Ex semi truck on the interstate several times.  When I finally found a truck to give it too I got back in the car and said, "Yes, cross that off my list!"
Ian said, "You have a list of things to do."
Me: "Yes,  I always have a to do list."
Ian:  "Maybe I should try doing that."
(July 2010)
--------------
I was reading Ian's devotional book with him and it was telling him that God loves everyone and it said that God has a picture of you on his desk. I said, "Wow God must have a really big desk." Ian quickly said, "Or REALLY small pictures." (july 2010)
--------------
Coleson said, "I can feel myself get fatter when I drink water." (June 2010)

--------------
I overheard C&C talking.
Carter:  Are you thinking what I'm thinking?
(pause)
Coleson: Yep, that's what we're thinking
(Ian enters the room)
Coleson:  We are thinking of a cool thing Ian.
(june 2010)
--------------

Tatum:  Mommy I'm going on a date. I really am. So I need to find my other date shoe. Can you help me find it? I want to go on my date.
Me: Who are you going on a date with?
Tatum:  nobody. I'm going with nobody.
Me: What are you going to do on your date.
Tatum: I'm going to see some dolphins and sharks and stuff.
(June 2010)
----------------

On Mother's Day the boys were telling me that it was "my day", it was all about me (that's something we say on each of our special days - "it's your day , today is all about you").   Ian then said, "But we have to go to church." I said, "That's ok, I like church."  He said, "I know but church isn't all about you, it's all about God." (So true Ian!!!) (May 2010)
------------
The twins were watching Dora with Tatum and Dora asked, (remember to say this in a LOUD voice because that's how Dora talks, ha) "Do you see anything we could use to carry the piggy to the barn?"  Carter said to the tv, "What? You could just carry it yourself." Way to tell her Carter. (May 2010)
------------
Tatum is always telling us exaggerated, untrue stories.  She tells them with a face that says "this is real".  Ian listened to her story in the van the other day and then nicely said to her, "That's very interesting Tatum."  He's so sweet to her. (May 2010)
------------
Coleson asked, "What are your wrists on your legs called?" He was asking about ankles. A week or so later he said, "My leg wrists hurt." (May 2010)
------------
Tatum was going to help me make dinner in the kitchen.  She brought her little toy laptop computer into the kitchen and told me, "This will be our directions mommy. It will tell us what to do." HA! That's a girl of the 21st century - she must have found a good recipe on a blog. (April 2010)
-------------
I had American Idol on and Ian was in the shower.  One of the strongest contestants was singing and I hear Ian yell out of the bathroom. "Mom is that still American Idol because that doesn't sound like American Idol. It sounds really good. It just sounds like regular tv. " Then he came out to watch with me and when the judges were critiquing and it came to Simon Ian asked, "Is that the one that doesn't like any of the songs". HA! He's barely watched the show and he can tell which judge is the hardest on the contestants. (April 2010)
--------------
While on my computer I over heard Coleson say to Carter in the hallway, "Carter are you scared?" Carter said "no." Then Coleson said, "Well, I'm scared. I'm scared you are going to fall." I got up to go see what was going on and when I looked down the hallway they had two step stools on top of each other and then both of their soft kid size cushion chairs stacked on top of that trying to reach a game in the cabinet.  Carter was on top (the one not scared) and Coleson was down below (the one scared) with arms out ready to catch Carter if he fell. What a TEAM! (April 2010)
--------------
Carter bite Coleson and later that night Coleson said,  "I saw the blue mark where Coleson bit me. He BIT me AND BITED me.  That's the worst. BIT and BITE together is the worst. (So funny, he was talking about the past tense and present tense as two different things and to him if if you do both of those that's the worst. Didn't make a ton of sense but was hilarious.) (April 2010) 
--------------
Tatum asked, "Am I a new letter mommy?" I was so confused at what she was asking. Coleson added, "She means number mommy?"  OH! She wanted to know if she was older now, 4! (April 2010)
--------------
While the kids were all having breakfast I was making lunches for lunch boxes.  I pulled out a new snack they'd all been asking for that they had seen on tv and showed it to them. They erupted with cheers.  I started laughing and said, or more like sung a little diddy with the words, "I'm the coolest mom in the world." I tried to get them to sing it but no one would.  One of the twins was just about to give in and say it when Ian very seriously said, "Wait guys don't say it, we don't KNOW if she's the coolest one in the WORLD." HA!!! Thanks Ian, we better check the facts before we make that statement. HA! Jason laughed and said "I guess I need to have a talk with them about how to build their mom up." (April 2010)
--------------
The twins each planted a sunflower seed on Kindergarten round up day and the teacher told them when the sunflower is taller than them it will be time for kindergarten to start.  Days later Carter came running up to me and said, "Mommy Coleson is going to get to go to kindergarten first." I asked why? He said, "His sunflower is taller than mine." (April 2010)
---------------
Conversations about music in the car. . . . the twins used to say "we want Daddy music!" (That meant something heavy and full of rock. Cracks me up b/c yes he likes this kind of music but he also loves some laid back acoustic too.)
Now I hear these two comments a ton . . . 
Tatum, "Turn on princess music." That means something slow and ballet like. She's very specific and many times it's difficult to find.
Carter and Coleson, "We want a rockintar song." It's their way of saying something with a rock guitar."
Tatum, "I want a girl song."
Twins, "We want a boy one."
(March 2010
------------
Tatum said, "We should build a tree house. A GIRL tree house with makeup and clothes."    (March 2010)
-------------
Tatum said, "Mommy said she don't use it anymore."
Coleson said, "It's doesn't not don't but it's ok, you're getting it, you're learning."
(March 2010)
--------------
Tatum says this a lot right now. "I can do it my own." (She's meaning "by myself") March 2010
--------------
I gave Tatum her new dress and shoes for Easter and she was THRILLED. 
She said, "Where did you buy these mommy."
I said, "Target."
She said, "OHHH!  Thank you mommy, I love them." Then she gave me a big hug.
Coleson was sitting there listening to all this and he came up to me and whispered in my ear, "She would have said that no matter what store you got it at."
(March 2010)
--------------
I told the kids to each get a book and I'd read it before bedtime. 
Ian asked if I'd read ALL of it. He didn't want to go to bed.
I said yes then Jason overheard him at the book shelf say, "I'm going to pick the bible; the OLD Testament." (Good try Ian!) March 2010)
---------------
I've overhead Tatum singing nursery rhymes the last couple days. 
"Hickory Dickory Dock. The mouse ran up the clock. Down came the rain and washed the clock out." (She combined Hickory Dickory Dock and Itsy Bitsy Spider.)
"Where's the Pumpkin, where's the pumpkin. I'm right here. I'm right here. Run. Run. Run." (Her version of Where is Thumpkin?)
March 2010
----------------
Tatum came out of her room and said, "My kitty (toy) has an ISSUE." 
I wanted to laugh so bad . . an issue?? Instead of laughing I said, "What is the issue?
She said, "She is spitting up her milk (she was feeding her with a bottle) so I'm using this rag."
(March 2010)
------------------
We were having a "green dinner" for St. Patricks Day the night before St. Patricks and the kids all had to find something to put on them that was green.  We had costumes, dress shoes, athletic outfits, and a nerf gun. We were talking about pinching people the next day who weren't wearing green. I asked them if Daddy should pinch Uncle Lonnie, Craig and Grandpa if they forgot to where green.  THey all said, "YEAH!'
Then Tatum said, "But NOT Grandma."
Jason said he wouldn't pinch Grandma.
Ian said, "But pinch Grandpa."
Coleson said, "No! Don't pinch the old people."
-----------------

Tatum asked me for her "maker".  She had to show me what she was talking about before I could figure it out.  It was her apron.  Makes sense doesn't it? We 'make' things when we have the "maker" on. (March 2010)
------------------
Tatum was sitting on the couch watching Ian play a Wii game.  She then stood up slowly, headed towards the kitchen while saying, "Well . . . . oooon to dinner."  I was in the kitchen and it cracked me up, it sounded just like me finishing one thing and heading onto another thing.  (March 2010)
-----------------
Ian's growing up so fast and already he'll say things to me that I picture him saying to me when he's in Highschool and he's trying to help his mom out; but he's saying them at age 7.  We were driving on terribly muddy roads and I wasn't sure I'd make it through the mud pit.  I said aloud that I didn't know if we could make it.  As we approached the mud Ian calming said, while peering his head near my seat, "Slow down mom. We'll make it." (March 2010)

----------------
I overheard all 3 boys talking in their bedroom one morning as they woke up.  Ian was telling them that he's learning about dinosaurs in school and Carter (the dinosaur boy) said, "Ok Ian, you go to school and then come back and teach us EVERYTHING you learn about dinosaurs." (Feb. 2010)
----------------

While eating lunch, out of the blue, Coleson said, "Why can't boys marry boys?" I said well God says he made marriage for a boy and a girl. Then Coleson said, "I don't want to marry." (the thought of liking a girls is sicko at this age, girls are gross) It was quiet a little and Carter then jumped into the conversation and said, "Coleson when we grow up you wanna live with me? We could be twin daddies?" (Melted my heart. Those two have the deepest connection. It was the first time they'd talked out loud about always being together. It will be sad someday as they venture off alone.) (Feb. 2010)
------------
While reading Coleson's bible with him, it was talking about God returning to earth and Coleson said, "He'll return some day and take all of us to heaven. (he paused) But what will happen if we aren't done coloring a picture yet?" (Ha! Feb. 2010)
-------------
While reading some of Carter's bible with him, the question was asked what are some bad things you should try to stay away from or some bad things you should stop doing. I gave some suggestions like punching or fighting. He thought for a long time and said, "I should stay away from wild cats." (Feb. 2010)
--------------
Coleson was telling Carter something and Carter said, "It was better than your imagination." (Jan. 2010)
------------
I always ask the kids if they are "filling someone's bucket" which means to make someone feel good or be kind. While driving in the car with just Tatum she said, "I don't like you mommy." I then was telling her she needed to say kind things and fill people's buckets. She waited awhile and then said "I love you mommy. That's kind. I'm a good sister. Does that mix your bowl mommy?" (She said "mix your bowl" instead of "fill your bucket". I laughed so hard.) (Jan. 2010)
------------
Tatum came and asked me "to do all of her" handing me her box of play make up and bracelets. I did and then she went straight up to Carter and COleson and said, "Look boys don't I look beautiful?" Coleson quickly replied, "You looked beautiful before Tatum." (Watch out girls, he's gonna be a keeper.) (Jan. 2010)
---------------
One of the boys wanted me to brush his teeth instead of Jason. We were ALL in the bathroom. Jason asked why and I then started into a little dance and song with the lyrics "because I'm number 1". Coleson, with a mouth full of spit, turned around and pointed to Jason with a smile. Jason said, "thanks Coleson" thinking Coleson was standing up for his daddy. Then Coleson spit and said proudly to Jason, "YOU ARE NUMBER 2!" HA! We all laughed. (Jan '10)
----------------
C&C were doing a rock excavation kit and Tatum came up and said, "What you doing guys?" Coleson said, "It's science and you don't know science Tatum. It's for H and up." Tatum said, "I'm up." The funniest part was that this confusing conversation made sense to all three of them. (Jan. '10)

Photobucket

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...